Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of experience in private practice, including equine medicine and surgery
31531426

What medicine is used to treat a cold in horses Or is it

Customer Question

What medicine is used to treat a "cold" in horses? Or is it just like us, we just ride it out?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.

HI, I'm Dr Steve. What is he doing that makes you believe he has a cold?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has a greenish discharge from the nares and has been coughing.
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
How long has this been going on. How is his activity and appetite?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just noticed this afternoon prior to our trail ride. He is a newer horse that I bought 3 weeks ago. It seems he has not changed activity or appetite since the day of arrival. Still eating well and rode out well today. We only did a walk on the flat for about an hour.
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Horses don't typically get "colds " like we do and with a discharge from the nose, a bacterial infection of the nasal cavities or sinuses is likely.I have often used penicillin to treat bacterial infections like what you are seeing. I usually give a 1000 pound horse 20 cc of procaine penicillin injected in two places (10cc in each place) in the neck area. Sometimes I i have had to repeat this treatment once a day for 2-3 days . If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you should talk to your vet about it. This is something that usually gets worse of not treated, so whether you do it or you have a vet do it, he should be treated to cure the infection. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am ok with giving injections. I am a Registered Nurse. Will I need a prescription, are you able to give those out in this manner? Would an ABX pill also work?

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.
Pills usually don't get into the sinus or nasal tissues at high enough levels to do much good. Procaine penicillin is available at most farm and home stores and usually you don't need a prescription to get it. I am unable to write prescriptions with out having done a hands on examination. I am sorry. You should be able to get the penicillin to treat this problem.