Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

what can I do for my horse that has diarrhea

Customer Question

what can I do for my horse that has diarrhea?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The problem is that you do not know why JT has this diarrhea. The treatment must be aimed at the cause. Because of his age, there is a possibility that he could be suffering from an intestinal lymphoma and for this, there is no treatment.

Since he has been wormed recently, there is a chance that he could be suffering from Trichomanas which causes this severe diarrhea due to his system being immune suppressed, Your vet can diagnose this by evaluating the stool so it is best to have your vet examine this. Treatment is metronidazole and will be effective.

there is also a possibility that JT's digestive tract has been irritated by the worming and this will resolve with anti diarrheal agents that your vet can prescribe.

have your vet examine JT to be sure this is not serious.

This site has some more tips.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just moved here a couple months ago. The one vet that I got a hold of for this town, didn't seem to concerned about my problem. He said" could be lots of things". He proceeded to tell me that he didn't like Ivermectin, and basically sent me on my way. Is there something I can give JT to help with the diarrhea? Some people suggested 1/4 cup of Metamucil twice a day? I don't have a horse trailer so when I DO find a decent vet, I'll have to have them come out. In the meantime I'd like to help stop it so that she doesn't get too dehydrated. If it was from worming (On October 12th), why would it just now be causing diarrhea? And is what I'm feeding her ok? Grass hay twice a day plus the alfalfa cubes and horsepower GR grain type feed, once a day?
HI again....

Yes,. Metamucil or Psyllium has been successful at helping to stop diarrhea. I would give JT 1/2 cup of metaqmucil every 12 hrs.

You will want to stop the grain for now because carbohydrates can make this worse as well as the alfalfa cubes. feed the metamucil with a bran mash which will help this as well....