fionasteel
fionasteel, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS MRCVS
38775184

My horse suddenly started jerking and throwing his head up

My horse suddenly started jerking and throwing his head up and down. Watching him it's as if he has something (like a fly) stuck in his nose. He throws his head, snorts and then rubs his nose along the ground or a wall ( or me). He has been scoped by a vet and has had his teeth done. This is going on about three months. He is normally a very good relaxed horse, it is heartbreaking to watch him do this. This can happen riding or when he is in his paddock with not even a head collar on. Any ideas??? Thank you very much.

Tina Deane, Kildare Ireland
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  fionasteel replied 6 years ago.

fionasteel :

Hello

fionasteel :

You say that you have had Teddy scoped and his teeth checked, I take it that nothing of significance was found?

fionasteel :

It sounds as if Teddy may be a head shaker, has this been suggested to you?

fionasteel :

This is thought to be caused by an allergy

fionasteel :

It is often impossible to discover to what

fionasteel :

The average age horses tend to start with this is 9

fionasteel :

It is important to rule out issues with teeth, any possibility of ear infection, or gutteral pouch infection

fionasteel :

Once these have been ruled out you can try things like a mesh muzzle guard

JACUSTOMER-n9br1bh5- :

yes that has been suggested to me indeed. Nothing was found from scoping, dentist did find teeth problems but he has worked on that and expected the horse to recover. He is such a healthy happy horse in every other way

fionasteel :

It is a very frustrating condition

fionasteel :

There has also been some success using acupuncture, you would need to find a vet to do this for you

JACUSTOMER-n9br1bh5- :

The only other thing maybe worth mentioning is that he banged his head or maybe got a kick from another horse but this happened six months ago. A bump appeared suddenly on his head he was exrayed and the result came back as a bone fracture. However he recovered quickly and was perfect for six months following that.

fionasteel :

Hopefully when he was scoped they would have discovered if that was what was causing the problem

JACUSTOMER-n9br1bh5- :

Yes that's what we thought. Ok thank you very much I will look into acupuncture.

fionasteel :

another site which will link you to other resources

fionasteel :

there are also treatments using anti histamines

fionasteel :

and the use of melatonin also helps in some

fionasteel :

unfortunately in a condition where there are several potential treatments, this means that there is no one thing that works with all horses

fionasteel :

Some horses are worse in bright light and the symptoms are alleviated if you ride when it is not so sunny. This is not usually a problem for us in the British Isles

JACUSTOMER-n9br1bh5- :

Thank you I will try everything!