Dr Rik Daniels
Dr Rik Daniels, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs Equine practice. Special interest in Reproduction , Lamness and a passion for the Eq Athelete
25049012

My horses front legs shake when just standing still. Ive known

Customer Question

My horses front legs shake when just standing still. I've known the horse for 5 years and know he has been healthy and ridden regularly with no issues of illness. He was used as a roping horse for approximately 1 year but no longer. Just pleasure riding now and before the roping. He is very slightly over in the knees. Also he doesn't seem to be in any pain. It just looks like his knees buckle forward for a second and he straightens them. This is off and on but mostly on. What could it be.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Rik Daniels replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Rik Daniels :

The shaking is most likely related to him being over at the knee. If he is ridden less now or more lightly it may be that his muscle tone has changed and he can no longer stand straight all of the time since he is over at the knee. It is unlikely that this is causing him any discomfort. Other things to check would be that he is not getting too much protein for his level of work and that his trimming/shoeing has not changed. Hope this helps! Dr. Rik