Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
Experience:  Board certified surgeon, lameness and advanced imaging expert. 9 years experience.
27425863

Hi, my horse is very sensitive to touch (when I brush him etc.)

Customer Question

Hi, my horse is very sensitive to touch (when I brush him etc.) in the area between the hip and flank - closer to the hip but where the hair grows in the different direction (not sure if this area has a specific name). I have had him 12mths and he has always been a little sensitive in that area on both sides when grooming (even though I am extremely gentle around there) but recently he has been kicking out his back leg in response. I had the chiropracter out to him 1 week ago when he first kicked out , and he had a few sore spots along his back in the hip region but it hasn't helped his reaction in this area.
He also scours a lot when he is out on rich grass - I didn't worry too much as the other horses reacted like this to the ridiculous amount of spring grass in one particular paddock we had but now it is Autumn, there is still green grass underneath the dry in the paddock, but I thought it couldn't possibly a rich as it was in spring and yet if I let him into that paddock - he is scouring after 1 day.
He is 23 but still going strong in most ways.
There have been a couple of times riding when he's dropped his back leg simultaneously, only on gravel - never on grass - it was never enough to worry me but considering his sensitivity now, I'm wondering if this may be a sign of something
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 4 years ago.
Any lameness associated?
Has he been tested for cushings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
has not been tested for cushings ad has no lameness
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 4 years ago.
Well, realistically, I have to agree with your chiropractor that many horses can be hypersensitive to the touch in that area. The fact that it has gotten so much worse might warrant some more investigation.
The fact that he has no lameness is good to know and indicated that it is not secondary to that (as a hindlimb lameness often cause secondary back pain and muscle spasms that go hand and hand with skin sensitivity disregulation).
You should still have a vet evaluate him for primary back pain/issues and accessorily
having him tested for Lyme disease and Cushings disease (fairly simple blood tests) might give you an answer (Lyme disease is a bit more likely than Cushings to cause such signs).
Hope this helps,
Let me know if you have any further questions

Hope this help,s
let me know if you have any further question