Keith Taraba, DVM
Keith Taraba, DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Twelve years practicing sports medicine and surgery at major thoroughbred and quarter horse racetracks. In addition, I have clients in multiple Western and English disciplines.
24254485

What is the best and fastest way to reduce fever in horses

Customer Question

What is the best and fastest way to reduce fever in horses? My fillie is a yearling and has a 105 temp - she is drinking fairly well - after giving her electrolites - but how can I bring her body temp down?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Keith Taraba, DVM replied 6 years ago.
2g of iv bute is the best, XXXXX XXXXX don't want to give more than 1g after the banamine. She also needs to be on injectable antibiotics such as penicillin and gentocin. I would have asked you to not give the high dose of banamine. Now, it is difficult to give some drugs such as gentocin since banamine, bute and gentocin are all hard on the kidneys.
I would recommend giving 1g bute iv and starting procaine penicillin im and waiting until tomorrow to start gentocin.