Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.
19741892

My horse has a goopy, runny eye. What can I do to treat it

My horse has a goopy, runny eye. What can I do to treat it?
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

Does the eye look red or inflamed at all?

Is the horse squinting or rubbing the eye?

What eye ointment are you using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This has been going on for several months. It is not red or inflammed. There is no squinting and how would she rub it? I was using a generic eye ointment that I bought at Walmart.
If the problem has been going on for months, infection is not likely. If only one is affected, allergies are not likely. If the eye is not inflamed and she is not squinting, glaucoma is not likely. The runny eye can be caused by a blocked tear duct or decreased tear production. In a horse this age, a cure may not be possible. Plain saline used for contact lenses or artificial tears can be used to flush the eye 3-4 times a day. If the problem persists, tear production should be measured. A eye medicine with any anti-inflammatory may be needed if the tear duct is occluded. There no OTC meds that will have one in them. The eye may also need to be stained to rule out corneal injury at this point. I would try flushing the eye several times a day prior to using the eye meds you have. If the problem persists, you need stronger meds and tests from your vet to get a specific diagnosis and treatment plan.