Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
Experience:  Board certified surgeon, lameness and advanced imaging expert. 9 years experience.

I have a horse with a swollen penis. It hangs out of his sheath

I have a horse with a swollen penis. It hangs out of his sheath about 8 inches and three inches from the tip it is swollen like a donut. For the last three days I have given him shots of penicillin. I have seen no change in the swelling. I have also been squirting it with mineral oil to keep it from drying out. At first I thought he got kicked by another horse but I have not seen any changeing since I have been giving him these shots. I don't know what else to do..
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 6 years ago.
How long has it been going on ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This has been going on since Sunday.
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 6 years ago.

Is the tip of the penis ulcerated/ raw looking?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 6 years ago.
antibiotics and anti-inflammatories are the way to go but more importantly, a sling system to support the penis would be essential. (gravity will make blood accumulate in the penis and make it heavier if it stays hanging getting it into a vicious cycle) (you could with the help of your vet make one of pantyhose material.
Additionally you could apply some silversulfadiazine cream on the penis to keep it hydrated (but the mineral oil could also do the trick).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions