Dr Rik Daniels
Dr Rik Daniels, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs Equine practice. Special interest in Reproduction , Lamness and a passion for the Eq Athelete
25049012

how to treat candida bouiscan in horses

how to treat candida bouiscan in horses
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Rik Daniels replied 5 years ago.
Is this a uterine infection? Was a culture done?

Do you mean Candida albicans?

Dr Rik
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The horse has a slight blood discharge from the nose most of the time. It has tumors in the throat which we are lead to believe was caught from the horse eating spores on very wet grass during a wet spell we had. Have been told by a vet it is ( Candida Bouiscan )also (gravlomatranulontavs tumor), this is a friends horse not ours. She is getting frantic as it looks like the horse will die, she looks healthy and is still eating and running around . Thank you for your time in this matter
I think if you are referring to Canidiobolis, this is a serious disease of the upper airway. Treatment is usually done with a laser and with anti-fungals and so called phycophixers. It needs to be aggressive to cure this problem. It is a fungal infection, and I usually refer these cases to a hospital. I am sorry I don't have better news. They can have fungal or yeast infections of the guttural pouches may need to distinguish and find out where the blood is coming from. Still a serious disease and referral is usually necessary, but it is possible to treat on the farm.If the vet has not done an endoscopic exam I would advise that you have one done to make sure where the blood is coming from.

I hope this information helps!

Dr Rik

Please Click REPLY if you need more info. Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question. Thanks you so much for allowing me to help! Remember, this cannot replace an exam by your veterinarian. Feedback and Bonuses are encouraged

Edited by Dr Rik Daniels on 11/4/2009 at 10:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the names of the anti-fungals/phycophixers that might be available & useful to try to treat this horse with. Any of the vets that we have tried , say that there is no hope for this horse, but we would like to try something. Is this disease contagious to other horses or animals,or humans.
The disease in not contagious and we believe that the horse that get the disease are immune compromised in some way. The phycophixors are mixtures injected directly into the lesion, so I don't know if they will be useful and most are mixed by individual vets or the university that your vet is familiar with will have a recipe. Itraconazole is one anti-fungal with some success. The dose is 3 mg per kg 2x per day, the length of treatment ranges from 3-4 months. There are other anti-fungals but this one has shown success.

I hope this information is helpful!

Dr Rik

Dr Rik Daniels, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: 12yrs Equine practice. Special interest in Reproduction , Lamness and a passion for the Eq Athelete