How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Category: Horse Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1207
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431
Type Your Horse Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my horse ate some moldy hay, what do I do now

Resolved Question:

my horse ate some moldy hay, what do I do now
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

 

Very likely there will be no major repercussion from your horse's indiscretionary eating. The biggest thing to watch for would be colic. You should monitor her overnight and if no colic signs develop over the next 24 hours, she will probably be alright. Monitor her for any signs of laminitis as well over the next 3-4 days. If she develops signs of colic or laminitis contact your vet right away. If you are concerned with the amount of mold she ingested, you can contact your vet right now and see if the vet can come administer some charcoal via nasogastric tube to inactivate the absorption of the mold. In most cases, this is not required and the horse will recover uneventfully. Hope this helps. Cheers

Dr. B. and other Horse Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you