Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

my horse ate some moldy hay, what do I do now

Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Very likely there will be no major repercussion from your horse's indiscretionary eating. The biggest thing to watch for would be colic. You should monitor her overnight and if no colic signs develop over the next 24 hours, she will probably be alright. Monitor her for any signs of laminitis as well over the next 3-4 days. If she develops signs of colic or laminitis contact your vet right away. If you are concerned with the amount of mold she ingested, you can contact your vet right now and see if the vet can come administer some charcoal via nasogastric tube to inactivate the absorption of the mold. In most cases, this is not required and the horse will recover uneventfully. Hope this helps. Cheers