Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse is loosing his mane the hair is falling out from the

Customer Question

My horse is loosing his mane the hair is falling out from the cuticle. he has now started to loose it from his tail. i am waiting on the vet to do blood work on him. I have also noticed that his poop (fresh) is reall dark instead of greenish brown like it should be. could I be over suplementing him, or maybe dehydration?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

What you have described sounds very much like a condition called telogen defluxation. This is a condition of all animals but particularly affects horses. The cause of the hair loss and this condition is likely a stressor that occured about 4-6 weeks ago - perhaps a new horse to the herd, new feed, long trailer ride, illness etc.... The good news is that in these cases, the hair tends to grow right back as normal about 2 weeks after it falls out. The other possibilities would be equine lice, external parasites, or a immune mediated skin conditions (allergies and other immune conditions). I recommed you have the vet out and do have the blood taken for assessment, but speak with your vet about telogen defluxation. Best of luck

Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We did do a skin scrape no bugs! His hair has been continually falling out for at least a month. his mane is about half of what it was , should I expect him to lose it all before it starts to grow back? one other thing I have started keeping him in the stall during the day to try and get his color back. He was kept in most of his life, but has had some freedom from it for about 10 months....and now he is stalled again for at least 6hrs. per day. this is also when he started loosing his mane....could the stress of being stalled have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.

The stressor was likely the change in environment from out to stalled. Some horses get very stressed out by this.

The hair will all fall out of the mane and possibly other parts of the body (which you may not notice as the new hairs will be growing in right behind and at different rates. So, you may not notice the whole mane fall out. It is already growing back.