Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.

My horse is laying down ,not eating or drinking, but has no

My horse is laying down ,not eating or drinking, but has no other clic type symptoms. He is strecthing out as though he's going to urinate, but doesn't. Then wants to lay down again. He did have a loose bowel movement, and did urinate once.
Submitted: 7 years ago via Greenhorn-Horse-Facts.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 7 years ago.

Even though your horse has none of the other classic colic-type symptoms, he is indeed colicking. The stretching behavior is a way in which he is trying to relieve his belly pain, and the fact that he wants to repeatedly lie down reinforces the fact. I just got online and saw your post, but if he is still exhibiting this behavior, I strongly recommend that you have him seen by your veterinarian. As you probably know, there are multiple reasons for colic, from excess gas to a twisted intestine, but if your horse has been painful for a prolonged period of time it may be just more than excess gas, and he needs a vet for an evaluation and treatment.
In the meantime I'd recommend hand walking him, no food or water, and preventing him from injuring himself should he lay down forcefully.

I trust I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX of luck.