Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I have a donkey foal 6 monthsd old and a miniature donkey 11

I have a donkey foal 6 monthsd old and a miniature donkey 11 months old who are stabled in same loosebox at night. The foal's face (forehead, blaze and down to nostrils) is now covered in a rough warty like surface - almost like scabs - but I also noticed this morning my miniature - who is black has one small spot-sized mark of the same type on her muzzle. It looks like it may be a fungal type infection as the spot is white in the centre with slightly paler fuzzier edges. Can you help please?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

It could be a fungal or bacterial dermatitis, however, I would also consider a possible sarcoid formation in that area. Sarcoids are benign tumors that form on the skin. They can be flat or bumps. In this case, I recommend that you have a vet evaluate the skin condition and possibly take a skin sample for histological evaluation. If it is a possible sarcoid, you do not want to take any skin samples as this can make the problem worse, and thus, why a veterinarian would need to look at the skin for you. Hope this helps. Cheers

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It covers the donkey's entire forehead and face down his nose except for the sides of his face and his muzzle. Also it's on the outside of his ears. So it's pretty huge - spread like a rash (only it's not a rash) rather than a sarcoid. In addition the small spot that's appeared on my black donkey's nose looks like a small spot of mould which is making me think 'fungus'. I forgot to say that there is no hair loss either which is one reason it took me so long to notice it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information,

Very odd, not too many skin conditions that spread like you describe and not cause hair loss. There is a juvenille wart syndrome that will cause several warts to form on the face but mostly around the lips. This could look like what you describe and will resolve on its own within a couple months. I would highly recommend that you have a vet out to examine it and possibily take some samples for analysis. It doesn't sound like one of the common skin problems. Best of luck.