Dr. Jean
Dr. Jean, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in equine practice including Chiropractic and Acupuncture therapies.

if a horse has a dislocated shoulder, can they be treated or

if a horse has a dislocated shoulder, can they be treated or is euthanasia the best option. It's really bad, the horses elbow is sticking out at least 5 inches from her body....she was kicked, put on bute, then turned back out and injured it worse.

I'm sorry to hear about your horse, it sounds like she has a very serious injury.
There aren't any treatments for a dislocated shoulder in a full size horse that are successful. If the horse can bear weight on the affected leg the problem could be due to some other sort of injury. Either way an X ray of the joint would be a very good idea to determine the type of injury she has before you make any final decision.

I hope this answer is helpful, if you have other questions let me know.

Dr. Jean

That is very sad. The way you describe the leg dangling really sounds serious. I hope that the owners will have a vet out to see her very soon.

Dr. Jean