Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

my horse is 30 yrs she wont eat or drink for going on 2 days

my horse is 30 yrs she won't eat or drink for going on 2 days she wants to lay down and if she stand she keeps her head hangin down
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

Hi puddles_46,

Sorry to hear about your horse. Could I get a little more information about the problem...

1. Is there any discharge from her nose? color?

2. Has she been looking at her flank, kicking at her belly, curling her lip up, trying to roll?

3. Have you given her any medications?

4. What does she usually eat?

5. Does she live with other horses? Are any of them affected?

6. Can she walk and move around normally?

Look forward to your reply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no discharge from her nose

her flank is sunk in

no medication

yes she was eating

no other horse is affected

she can walk bit she asks week hangs her head and just looks at me

do you think she might need to be put down I don't want her ot suffer I have had her sence she was 3 yr

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional informaton.

It sounds like she may have a case of mild colic. With older horses, once they get off food and water they can deteriorate very quickly. The fact that her flank is sucked in and she dull in eyes would suggest that she is dehydrated. The cause of the colic could be just about anything and there is no way to tell without examining her. If I had to guess, I would suspect an impaction or pending colitis (diarrhea coming soon). I recommend that you have a veterinarian out to look at her ASAP. I think she can be saved if the proper diagnosis and treatment can be made soon. The longer she goes without food and especially water, the worse and harder it will be to get her back because of her age. Hope this answers your question. Best of luck