Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.
Sorry to hear about your horse. Could I get a little more information about the problem...
1. Is there any discharge from her nose? color?
2. Has she been looking at her flank, kicking at her belly, curling her lip up, trying to roll?
3. Have you given her any medications?
4. What does she usually eat?
5. Does she live with other horses? Are any of them affected?
6. Can she walk and move around normally?
Look forward to your reply
no discharge from her nose
her flank is sunk in
yes she was eating
no other horse is affected
she can walk bit she asks week hangs her head and just looks at me
do you think she might need to be put down I don't want her ot suffer I have had her sence she was 3 yr
Thanks for the additional informaton.
It sounds like she may have a case of mild colic. With older horses, once they get off food and water they can deteriorate very quickly. The fact that her flank is sucked in and she dull in eyes would suggest that she is dehydrated. The cause of the colic could be just about anything and there is no way to tell without examining her. If I had to guess, I would suspect an impaction or pending colitis (diarrhea coming soon). I recommend that you have a veterinarian out to look at her ASAP. I think she can be saved if the proper diagnosis and treatment can be made soon. The longer she goes without food and especially water, the worse and harder it will be to get her back because of her age. Hope this answers your question. Best of luck