drccasey, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Auburn University 2003 DVM; own a full service equine ambulatory clinic

My horse has a swollen sheath. What do I do

My horse has a swollen sheath. What do I do?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  drccasey replied 7 years ago.
Many times, when a horse's sheath becomes swollen, it is because the bean needs to be removed. So, one thing you could try, is cleaning your horse's sheath and removing the bean.

In saying that, your horse's sheath may be swollen from a number of other different reasons--trauma, a systemic disease, poor nutrition, etc. As long as your horse is acting well otherwise and you are feeding a proper amount and are on a good deworming program, you can try daily exercising of your horse--about 15 minutes of lunging daily to decrease swelling. You can also then cold hose the sheath for about 15 minutes daily. If you have any Bute--you can also give 1g once daily, but I would try the cold hosing and exercising first.