Donna Campbell Smith
Donna Campbell Smith, Instructor, Horse book author
Experience:  AAS degree equine tech, graduated with honors, author, certified instructor, 30 years experience

My 28 year old TW is holding is tail up for long periods. No

My 28 year old TW is holding is tail up for long periods. No sign of ill health. Apitite is good. No fever.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Donna Campbell Smith replied 8 years ago.

Dear Gotta,

Some horses naturally carry their tails high, but if you are just noticing it I doubt that is what you mean. If your horse is a mare it may indicate she is in heat. Horses also "flag" their tails when running, playing or are excited.

You are right to notice anything out of character with your horse, so if this is new behavior you should have your vet examine your horse.

The horse might have gas, or something may be irritating your horse. If the horse is having difficulty having a bowel movement then he/she might be colicky. My only suggestion is to have your vet examine the horse if you are worried about it. But if there are no other signs of ill health or scratching, rubbing, etc and he is having normal bowel movements it is probably not serious.

I hope this helps answer your question. If I can be of further assistance let me know.

Donna C. Smith

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did talk with my vet and he said the same thing. The horse seems to be fine. Maybe with a 28 year old and going into winter I am a little parinoid.

If I may, I have anyother TW who suffers from summer itch. Will not eat any of the garlic orother aids with this problem. My horses have shelter but I do not stall them. This horse in particular does not like been stalled. So am I missing any hlep full meds I can be applying. Used swat for a season or 2 and it did seem to help but the cost for that small jar when I have to apply so much is costly. Thank you for your help.