Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years as an ambulatory equine veterinarian with concentrations in equine lameness and podiatry
12468739

I just found a lump under my horses jaw, between the bones,

Customer Question

I just found a lump under my horses jaw, between the bones, pretty large. It is hard and is one mass. We have had strangles at the ranch, but those abscesses were soft and fluid filled, this one is not. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I am really concerned.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

If you've had Strangles on your ranch before, then my number one rule out for the mass under the jaw would be, unfortunately, Strangles. Strangles abscesses can present very differently from one horse to the next. I've had cases where the lymph nodes stayed hard as a rock until finally draining. I've also had 2 horses that only had lymph nodes around the eye affected, and 1 horse that had a chronic Strangles growth within the sinus. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is I would assume Strangles first, and have your veterinarian aspirate the mass and culture or perform a phayngeal wash and PCR test for Strangles. In the mean time, you should isolate the horse and apply hot compresses to the mass 3-4 times a day to see if it will mature and begin to drain. Good luck, and let me know if you have any further questions. Dr. Matt