Equinedvm, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years of experience, Board Certified in Internal Medicine

Hi, my horse gets a shot of Polyglycan once a month as prescribed

Hi, my horse gets a shot of Polyglycan once a month as prescribed by my vet. I have been giving them to her for three months intramuscularly in her neck and have not had any issues. Today, however, she got a swelling around the injection site soon after I injected the shot. I am worried I did not get into the muscle & therefore maybe got it just under the skin & that is why there is a lump. Otherwise, I'm not sure what is going on with it. If that's the case, is it harmful? Is there anything else that could go wrong?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Equinedvm replied 8 years ago.

I usually give Polyglycan IV, however I have heard some administer it intramuscularly. If you got a swelling around the injection site it could just be an immune mediated reaction to the medication or and infection. I would apply hot compresses and DMSO topically. If the swelling gets larger have your veterinarian examine it to determine if an abscess is forming. If this is the case it will have to be drained. In most cases it is simply a localized reaction to a foreign product that will resolve with the topical application of an anti-inflammatory for a couple of days.

best of luck