Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2013 Honda Accord sport - turns over but won't stay running.

Customer Question

2013 Honda Accord sport - turns over but won't stay running. Battery is ok. Any ideas?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: 12.8V at rest
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not, had it towed to a mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is it starting and stalling right away each time and is or was there any warning lights staying on or flashing at all when it started and stalled out?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Turns over but won't stay on... TPS light flashes I think
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Does it stumble at all like it is trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It turns over fine, just won't stay running... faulty sensor?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

This may be an issue with the vehicle security system engaging keeping the engine from starting.This can be due to the immobilizer that reads the key or the body or engine computer at fault here.I have also seen more common that the fuel pump itself can fail and cause this as well with the fuel pump needing replaced.

What will need to be done from here first is to have the fault codes read out using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicles data port and can communicate with all computers to see if any codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.

If no codes are set then the fuel pressure needs tested with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if the fuel pump itself needs replaced.Both are common issues with the fuel pump being the most common to cause this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sir, if it's security system how difficult is to fix immobilizer issue? If fuel pump, what would be a fair repair estimate? Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If it is a security issue it all depends on which component is at fault here that would need replaced or repaired.If it needs a replacement computer this can cost over $300 in some cases to have replaced and possibly as high as $1000 to have replaced.It is is the immobilizer maybe around $200 to $300 to have replaced but these would need programmed by a repair facility when they are replaced.

If it is the fuel pump it may run around $500 to have replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete