Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have an 03 pilot and the wipers just started not turning

Customer Question

I have an 03 pilot and the wipers just started not turning off at all after i engage the windshield washer and they will not park properly if i turn them on low speed. In addition, the intermittent setting for the wipers is not working at all. In this setting they stay on at low speed with no interruption.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- we have a wiper relay in the under hood relay box , pull this out and check it if it stuck closed and keep wipers on

2- click on blue link to view relay location

3- ii sent you the circuit diagram for the wiper circuit ,there is a lot involved here

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

2003 Honda Truck Pilot V6-3.5L

Save Article

How the Circuit Works Low Speed With the ignition switch in ON (II) or START (III), battery voltage is applied to the windshield wiper motor through fuse 12 (in the driver's's under-dash fuse/relay box). When you move the wiper switch to LOW, the low speed winding of the motor is grounded through the low contact of the wiper/washer switch, and the wipers run at low speed. Park/Off When you turn oft the wiper switch, ground is provided for the low speed winding of the windshield wiper motor through the wiper switch, intermittent wiper relay, and the cam switch on the motor to G301. The wipers then run at low speed until the cam switch on the motor moves to PARK, removing the ground which stops the wipers in the park position. High Speed When you move the wiper switch to HIGH, the high speed windings of the windshield wiper motor are grounded through the HIGH contact of the wiper/washer switch, and the wipers run at high speed. Intermittent When you move the wiper switch to INT, battery voltage is applied through fuse 12 (in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box) and the wiper/washer switch to the driver's multiplex control unit which energizes the intermittent wiper relay by applying ground to the relay coil. The wiper sweep interval is controlled by vehicle speed and the resistance of the intermittent dwell time controller. The resistance of the controller varies from 0 to 30 kOhms. The PCM sends a vehicle speed signal directly to the driver's multiplex control unit. Vehicle speed will determine the rate of the wiper cycle. If you set the intermittent time to the shortest delay, the wipers will change from intermittent to low speed operation at a driving speed above 12 mph (20 km/h) They will change back to intermittent operation when vehicle speed drops below 12 mph (20 km/h) again. Mist When you push the wiper/washer lever down and hold it, the high speed winding of the windshield wiper motor is grounded through the MIST contact in the wiper/washer switch. The wipers sweep at high speed until you release the lever. The PARK/OFF function then takes over and the wipers stop in the PARK position. Washer When you pull the wiper/washer lever toward you, battery voltage is applied to the windshield washer motor and the driver's multiplex control unit. The driver's multiplex control unit grounds the coil of the intermittent wiper relay. The relay, in turn, applies ground to the low speed windings of the wiper motor. The washer motor then pumps washer fluid onto the windshield and the wipers run at low speed. When you release the lever, the wipers make one more sweep and then stop.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 days ago.

Hi, just checking in ,to see how things are going,Do you need further assistance ?

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Don't really have a good way of doing a lot of diagnostics due to variety of factors. I replaced the intermittent wiper relay which did not change anything. I have ordered a new wiper switch which should be in by the end of this week. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 days ago.

Yes I believe the switch will fix it ,it is a common issue on them let me know

Chad

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 days ago.

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat