Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2008 V6 with very loud ticking noise at idle. AS RPMS go up

Customer Question

2008 V6 with very loud ticking noise at idle. AS RPMS go up the tick turns to rattle and then goes away as the RPMS are rising after load on engine.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Noise does not seem to be coming from valve cover. Seems to be coming from belt area. I thought maybe the area where the power steering pump is but it could also be coming from anywhere on that side of the engine
JA: What is the model of your '08 Honda?
Customer: EX L I believe. It is the V6 3.5L
JA: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just paid for a stethoscope to try to pinpoint the spot on the engine. If I can find out what exactly is going on I may fix myself or may pay someone.Not sure yet
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: You are asking for payment options and I am not sure what you mean as I don't see anything here for a cost or a way to do anything like that. Not even a price list
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Other than the noise just started a few weeks ago and now is getting louder and the cars engine has lost no power and runs fine other than the noise
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Use the stethoscope to listen around the engine block area where the noise is loudest and see if it is the power steering pump as its bearings can be failing or one of the other pulleys the belt drives as they can cause this as well.I have also heard the timing tensioner tick in some cases when it becomes weak.But you are on the right track using the stethoscope to locate the loudest point to then investigate further.In some cases you can remove the drive belt and rotate pulleys by hand to see if you fell one rough or loose at all to pinpoint this.But if it is coming from inside the engine then the timing tensioner and lifters/tappets as well as cam shaft lobes should be checked for any issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete