justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

2005 Honda Accord V6: I cannot turn on my cruise control. I

Customer Question

2005 Honda Accord V6: I cannot turn on my cruise control. I noticed today that i couldn't enable my cruise control anymore, it worked fine a few days before. The ON/OFF switch works fine and I can see a light illuminate on the dashboard. I pulled over to take a look at the brake switch, and seems like it wasn't working properly: the shifter was not locked without pressing the brakes, I did not have anyone around to see if my brake lights were working... I happened to have a replacement switch in my car somehow and switched out the old switch. The shifter now locks, it however ( strange???) unlocks when I turn on my low beam??? The cruise control still doesn't work, do I need to adjust that brake switch all the way in?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Honda Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Doesn't seems like there is a fuse for the cruise control? I did checked the cabin and engine compartment fuse box. The horn still works if that help. I doubt it is the dashboard bulb because my cruise control isn't working. If it was out, my cruise control would still have worked, the light would just have been off.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah, I'm doing all I can manage, and bring it in for the rest. Just the brake switch so far. I can hear it " unlock" the shifter when I press the brake. Is is supposed to unlock the shifter when you turn on your low-beams? I don' t recall my car doing that.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That' s all I think. Thanks for your help
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I am a Honda/Acura service technician of 10 years so I know the brand well. The first thing I would do is check the the switch adjustment. Screw the plunger in all the way until the switch rod is not visible. Just don't screw it in where it's pushing the brake pedal down. Just enough to where the switch rod is all the way in the switch. If it doesn't work after adjustment, I'd like you to note if when you push the SET switch to engage the cruise if the light on the dash lights up indicating the cruise is SET, but immediately goes out when you release the SET switch.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just tried that. Pressing the set button ( or holding it) doesn't do anything.

you tried this while driving the vehicle above 25 mph correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried turning it on driving on the highway. 25mph is the minimum speed to operate the cruise control

great. You didn't mention if you had tried readjusting the brake switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have. Moving it al the way to compress the pin as much as possible without moving the brake pedal.

great. can you make sure the horn honks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yes. The horn is working. The Horn/Stop fuse is still intact.

alright, I believe the problem is a faulty cable reel assembly. Behind the steering wheel is a cable reel. There are several different connections within the reel and a few are for the cruise. It is common for this to fail resulting in loss of cruise. I will include a link to view the factory part, part number, and reduced online pricing. I will also include a wiring diagram for the cruise circuit showing the cable reel connections for the cruise switches. If you have any more questions about this just let me know. Thanks

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~reel~assy~77900-sda-a21.html