Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Having bad smell from HVAC vents, 2007 accord 2.2 cdti

Customer Question

Having bad smell from HVAC vents
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2007 accord 2.2 cdti european model
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: dual zone ac
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: it's cooling very nice, i have tried to clean vents with spray spray foam and tried to spray some foam through ac drain
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: recentlu i have problem with heting on driver's side so i have flushed heater core but smell was there long before that repair
Category: Honda
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the smell usually is from bacteria growing on the ac evaporator. There are 3 things you can do.
1) they sell an ac fogging spray that you spray into the inlet underneath the windshield area. Or into the cabin air filter housing. That works pretty good but not a guarantee. 2) you can either remove the blower motor or cut a small hole into the evap case and spray bleach and vinegar into and on the evap core then patch the hole (I've done this a couple of times on the stubborn ones, works great)
3) remove the evap and clean it and the box. (This is a lot more work)
Let me know what happens and I'll continue to help.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny