Thomas Ragusa
Thomas Ragusa,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Town n Country Jeep
97233154

I have a 2004 Honda accord with the v6. I have had two power

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda accord with the v6. I have had two power steering pumps replaced with hoses and flushes and when I picked it up last week they told me I need a new Rack and pinion. I was not having problems steering previous to the new pump just noise while cold. The pumps were replaced a year apart. Is Good year just trying to suck me dry or what.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: I had fluid changed in 2010,2012 new pump in 2015 and 2016. I just picked it up a few days before Christmas. no noises while turning the wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No all maintenance has been done by Goodyear expect the recall power steering hose that was done by Honda
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Thomas Ragusa replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified automotive technician and I am here to help you. Do you know what type of fluid goodyear put into your Power steering system?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No but they said they had a problem bleeding the air out. They had the car 3 days

Honda's take special power steering fluid, if the wrong fluid was put into the system this could damage the components in the power steering system. I would have to say start there, cause regular power steering fluid or ATF4 (transmission fluid) which most vehicles take as power steering fluid is a different chemical make up from honda power steering fluid. You can ask goodyear to see what fluid they put into your system, or have your Honda dealer do a power steering flush with the proper fluid and see if that fixes the problem.

Hello, Im just following up, Any new news on your Power steering?