Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2005 CRV 4 Cyl with 96K miles and P1009 code is

Customer Question

I have a 2005 CRV 4 Cyl with 96K miles and P1009 code is coming up according to dealer they would like to do SW on PCM update ($242) then engine flush ($241) and then if code still shows up will change P sensor ($475) - not sure if I am being advised right or if I am taken for a ride
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: I had VSA code flash, maintenance required and engine light on according to dealer P1009 code is showing up
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I am not fixing it myself .. dropped it off at a dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - just want to understand the right way to fix this. thx
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for holding.

The P1009 is pointing to a problem in the variable vale timing system. There are a few things that can set this code. First, the VTC strainer should be checked for clogs. If found, the strainer can be cleaned and then the engine oil and filter should also be replaced. If there are no clogs found, VTC oil control solenoid valve will need to be tested. If ok, the VTC actuator will need to be checked. If ok, the oil passages will need to be checked for clogs (this is where the "engine flush" is done). This shouldn't require any PCM updates, as more commonly it's a clog or a faulty solenoid. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything I could do to assist on this? Any other questions you had? Anything else I can provide?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

.....