Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2001 Accord V6, and it is in great condition.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Accord V6, and it is in great condition. However, the malfunction indicator lamp just came on as I was driving. Also the D4 transmission light was blinking, and the TCS light was on. I returned home and checked the oil and transmission fluid. Both were normal/full. Also (after reading the manual) I checked to be sure the gas tank cap was properly tightened. After a few minutes I re-started the car, and everything seemed normal EXCEPT for the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, which came back on. What is going on? Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the transmission fluid?
Customer: Yes. I checked both the transmission fluid and the oil level. Both are normal.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, other than checking to see if the gas cap was on tight (after reading about this in the car manual). This happened just a few minutes ago. In answer to your question, my regular maintenance work is done at a local Honda dealer, and there have been no problems,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well...the only "issue" that I could report (unrelated to today's events?) is that the automatic transmission shifts a bit roughly. Everything else seems as good as new.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

If the D4, MIL, and TCS lights are all on it's probably a transmission issue. The only way to know for sure is if I have the codes. Auto parts stores will scan it for free. if you can get me the code information I can tell you what's going on.

The 98-02 Accord transmissions were the most problematic in Honda history. Solenoids, torque converters, restricted filter screens, etc. I have replaced so many transmission for this generation I have lost count. In some cases it's no big deal maybe a shift position switch or just a pressure switch. If you can get the codes then get back to me I can give a more exact answer. just too many possible causes to guess.

Thank you,

~Cliff

I am ready if you still need help. I responded to your second question.