Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2001 automatic Odyssey. Recently it has started

Hi Steve. I have a 2001 automatic Odyssey. Recently it has started making a single knock - like a rock being thrown hard under the chassis on the passenger side - not like the thunk of an angry transmission - accelerating from a stop. It seems to happen once the car is warm. My mechanic cannot find anything. Suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Does swerving, bumps, braking, or accelerating effect this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Chris. I notice no effect of swerving, braking or bumps. Just accelerating from a stop. And not every time. For whatever it is worth, I am not a leadfoot in this vehicle. It isn't peppy like my old Camry. I did have some tire spinning on wet pavement at stops on slopes, but realized it was because my front tires were bald. I replaced them. The sound is a little more muted now. But it is still there. Helpful?

My suggestion is to check the front suspension components for a sign a blt or nut is moving, check the engine and trans mounts. A tool called Chassis ears, you can search at Amazon, will help in finding this noise origin.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well thank you for trying. I'm not mechanically inclined, so sleuthing for loose bolts isn't likely to happen, nor is buying chassis ears so that I can self diagnose. But I suppose that it is a direction in which to point my mechanic the next time that my car goes in.Happy Holidays.

Your welcome.

Do you need more assistance from me or are you pleased with my help?