Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

Honda 2000 Accord. My dashboard lights were all flickering

Customer Question

Honda 2000 Accord. My dashboard lights were all flickering on my drive home and it didn't catch when I tried to accelerate, my radio was turning on and off, then my headlights were so dim they were basically useless on the drive home
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes, just replaced the alternator
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A mechanic is fixing it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The problem you are describing sounds very much like you still have a charging system concern and the problem is with low voltage. I would start with having the new alternator tested to be sure your getting a proper charging voltage with the engine running . Proper charging voltage should be right at 14 volts . While testing the charging system also be sure to make sure the battery tests okay and can handle a load.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is the alternator not properly grounding? Could it be a coil issue? When there is moisture, after it rains, the car has a difficult time.
Why would it not accelerate?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Its not likely going to be a coil issue which would only effect the engine causing a misfire and not effect the lights. The engine has to have stored power in the battery to run properly and if the light where dimming then it sounds like you where loosing battery voltage. The place to start would be to have the charging system rechecked. Most auto parts stores will perform this test for you at no charge.