Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have a 2005 honda civic hybrid with 105k miles. It starts

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 honda civic hybrid with 105k miles. It starts making a juddering noise at 50 and above. This also occurs when decelerating. While the noise is quite prominent, there isn't a lot of vibration.
A local mechanic thought it was the transmission but the dealer said it was the IMA battery. Replacing the IMA seemed to fix the problem for good while but now it has return.
The problem never seems to happen at slower speeds. Also, the the mileage is really crappy at 29mpg. Any ideas? Thanks!
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 14 days ago.

Hello

I'd do a check for binding brakes, check that all the wheels can be turned freely by hand, and free off any sticking calipers

if this is OK then its possible that the hybrid electric motor is constantly on regeneration, possibly because of a low hybrid battery voltage or a problem with charging that battery

sadly all this needs a dealer level diagnostic tool to measure the high voltage system and isn't a DIY task