Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

200 Honda Pilot, difficult to start when it is cold (below

Customer Question

200 Honda Pilot, difficult to start when it is cold (below 40F) and sat for while, otherwise starts fine. I have recently replaced: fuel regulator, coolant temp sensor, plugs, cleaned EGR ports and valve, measured fuel pressure - 52 psi at idle, also inspected main relay circuit board. 2004
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: what am I looking for on the fuel rail
JA: What year is your Pilot?
Customer: 2004 honda pilot, it either catches right away, or becomes difficult to start.
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: see above......also new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think i covered it all
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also 180,000 miles
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

The number one input to the PCM for injector pulse is the MAP sensor and TPS sensor so be sure to check both of those and replace as needed.

Also, when was the last time the valves were adjusted up? This needs to be done on a regular basis as part of routine maintenance to ensure proper start and running of the engine. They can cause all sorts of problems (hard starting, rough running and misfires) if they are loose or get too tight.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if there are no codes, what would you start with? how do I check MAP, TPS sensors
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

You can check both the MAP and TPS using a voltmeter on the signal wire. I would take a reading from each sensor when the engine is starting good and then take a reading on each sensor and compare the readings to see which one (if any) are significantly different.

If the valves have not been adjusted recently, hands down this needs to be done first. I would start there.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just trying to think this thru......it only has a start problem when is very cold and sits for a while. Otherwise starts fine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

YES, Ma'am thats correct. I understand.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a shop complete the valve adjustment, #5 exhaust was tight, all adjusted. Still having start issues
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only on cold days
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure I understand, if it's 50f or hotter starts fine, 30f trouble starting so take readings without starting
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Thanks for the update!

All of the fuel related or delivery sensors will need to be checked and verified as good. Fuel issues are the most common causes of hard start conditions.

But everyonce in a while, an electronic issue with the ignition system (like the cam or crank sensors) can do this too so be sure to check those as well when the problem occurs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
first check....warm/starting car, but not running
TPS reads .507 VDC
MAP reads 2.918 VDC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will let it cold soak and get readings
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

I dont think either of those values you posted are correct.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
repeated check
MAP
ignition on 2.911 VDC
Idle 1.20 VDC
less than 1 VDC as I apply throttleTPS
ignition on .5 VDC
idle .474 VDC
value increases with throttle applied
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should say power on, for both, but engine not running
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Ok, those readings are a bit better. Even though, key on engine off, the MAP sensor reading looks a bit off. I would have to do some digging to double check this. However, they dont go bad very often, but it still is possible that it is not reading accurately.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
same readings with power on, engine not running....car is struggling to start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Try adding alternative fuel to the engine when starting and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its 20F this morning, cranks over fine, but wont catch ..took out upper intake tube, sprayed in starter fluid, installed tube back. Doesn't start
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Did you say the EGR was replaced? How about the engine coolant temp sensor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
EGR replaced, also cleaned out the coking in the manifold. Coolant temp sensor has been replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

What is the signal voltage at on the EGR key on engine off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not sure I did this right, 5 pin set up. On one side I am getting 5 V, middle plug is green. I think the signal pair of pins opposite of the power - black/white wire. At this wire I am getting near zero VDC.Note: I think the car is easily flooding, I was finally able to start it after it sat for a while. I never apply gas during start on this car.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Ok, we need to get a good signal on the signal wire to know for sure we are doing it correctly.