Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

I have a 2008 honda accord coupe and the side airbag has

Customer Question

i have a 2008 honda accord coupe and the side airbag has been replaced because of an accident replacement airbag has been installed but the side airbag light is on . How do i reset?
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: no!
JA: Are you fixing your Accord Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am!I took to dealer because of airbag recall. They replaced a couple of things but did not reset airbag! They wanted two hours of diagnostic fee! The side curtain airbag has been replaced all I need to do is reset?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it i guess!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Hi im kevin this will need to be reset using honda diagnostic tool no other way and in some cases if crash data is stored the module has to be replaced to be able to reset

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
do you know about how much that module costs?I took the vehicle to a local dealer for airbag recall and they replaced acouple of things but did not reset the airbag!Why wouldn!t they with the recall!How do I get one of those diagnostic tools?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

It will have to go to honda for reset .was it crashed before you had recal work carried out ?

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

I dont offer phone service im happy to continue online ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it was crashed before I had recall done!tech stated driver side airbag 31-10 code f4-11front pass airbag and pass seat deployment d7-11 rear body impact. 2.0 hrs to start diag.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Ok so these issues need to be resolved before system will reset

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you know what these codes are?Looks like they replaced airbag inflator! The pass seat airbag did not deploy!
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

I will opt out i dont have an exact listing of codes

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you think this module can be replaced with a used one?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 days ago.

I see the other expert opted out after giving you some wrong information.

Any time a Honda is involved in an accident where an air bag or seat belt tensioner deploys the SRS control unit must be replaced. The control unit is not resettable. You can try a used one if you wish but if it came out of a vehicle that had air bags go off you will have the same issue.

Once the control unit is replaced the only codes remaining will be for items that were not replaced but had deployed like a seat belt tensioner.

You will need to have the ODS initialised and the control unit updated by Honda after replacement

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
where is the control unit ?I'm going to a local salvage yard friday where you can get 50% off!
Expert:  Steve replied 10 days ago.

You will find the control unit under the dash on the floor in the center. There should be one cover on each side of the dash to remove to get to it.

You will need a t30 torx socket to remove the bolts.