Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1991 Honda CRX that does a weird "hiccup" every

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Honda CRX that does a weird "hiccup" every once in awhile. It is only when I'm accelerating from almost a complete stop, such as when I'm inching out, waiting for an opportunity to get across two lanes of traffic to the other side, that it will do this. Sometimes it stalls and sometimes it almost does then it kicks back in. The "hiccup" almost sounds like a dull, muffled backfire, like my tailpipe was clogged and just blew out the offending object. It can be pretty hairy when you're trying to cross and it stalls, with traffic coming at you
Thanks
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 18 days ago.

Without hearing or feeling the noise and driving the vehicle myself, it is hard to say what this problem is exactly. However, I can give you some possible causes based on my experience.

First, it could simply be an ignition system misfire. The fix is to simply replace the tune up parts.

Another possible cause would be the oxygen sensor.

Also, when was the last time the valves were adjusted up? This needs to be done on a regular basis to ensure proper engine beathing.

In addition, the engine speed sensor (pickup inside the distributor) may start to be failing causing this condition. This too is a very simple fix as the distributor simply gets replaced.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for responding. My car has an MSD modified cap and rotor and an MSD ignition box installed. My distributor is new. But it has been doing this since I got the car and well before I installed any of those parts. I'm not sure about the oxygen sensor but maybe I'll try replacing that next. My car has also been throwing a code for the EGR valve which I've replaced twice. All vacuum lines look good concerning the EGR but the check engine light won't go away. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it...?
Expert:  Amedee replied 18 days ago.

Do you know the code in the computer?

If the check engine light is on and there is a code for the EGR system stored in the computer, then the EGR ports may be plugged or the EGR valve may not be getting a signal to operate so that will need to be checked.

Expert:  Amedee replied 18 days ago.

Was it a code 12 by chance?

Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!