sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2003 Honda element, cold starts fine but when I make it to

Customer Question

2003 Honda element, cold starts fine but when I make it to the first stop sign the idle decays to 0 & it dies. From that point on it seems fine, so I'm sure its some kind of warm up/ idle issue.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem happens only during warmup and then it runs fine when hot then I suspect an upstream oxygen sensor issue. If the upstream sensor heater is weak then it will cause the engine to run lean in the transition from open to closed loop during warmup which can cause hesitation or dying.

Have you checked or fault codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay,, was on another project..
I have a code reader & it is saying that I have PO172 left & Right Banks & that it is a RICH condition..
The car is pretty healthy because those are the only 2 codes it has thrown since I cleared them 4 months ago. The current condition of concern is runs rough after start up when put into gear. Doesn't want to idle when I come to a stop sight within the first 5 minutes after start up, But runs & idles fine after 5 mins or when at road speeds even when cold.. So its a cold idle issue.. I just need to know what to adjust, replace or clean or where to kick it...
thanks & happy holidays to you
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

Can you try unplugging the upstream oxygen sensors, disconnect the battery and reconnect it, and drive it with the sensors unplugged to see how it runs?