gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My Honda Pilot radio is dead and wont come on. I checked all

Customer Question

My Honda Pilot radio is dead and wont come on. I checked all the fuses you said to check in a past response and nothing happens. While charging a cell phone in the car cigarette? lighter i smelled burning (electric) and that is when my radio ceased working. I am not sure the actual radio is getting power and am at a standstill--should I replace the radio or have it removed and repaired if i find out the radio is getting power but not responding--Where can I send it for repair is it in fact is fubr-ed.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: All fuses have been checked and there was a bad fuse in the passenger side fuse you recommended to check. Still no radio power.
JA: What year is your Pilot?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just change the fuse--I have spoken to the Honda dealer and they say they do not fix radios.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no but does this cost to speak to the mechanic?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 21 days ago.

You will need to pull the radio- check to see if there is an auxilliary fuse built into the back of the radio, near the connectors. If there is not, you are going to want to check for power to the radio on the large power wire (should be red or black) If you have power, but the radio will not turn on, then you can send it out. Most cities (or even small towns) have a shop that specializes in electrical repair, you may just have to call around- many old television shops, radio shops, or even small auto specialists that do alternator rewinding and other seemingly obsolete skills may have a source for a radio or module repair specialist.