Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

2003 Civic hybrid with cvt. fault code 1449 Cell

Customer Question

2003 Civic hybrid with cvt. fault code 1449 Cell overheating. clear dtd and drive. a minute or two and code returns. Flow chart only lists replace battery module.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: (yes on coolant and battery temp signals in data list) Replaced battery module and new battery has instruction to reprogram as new module is CA4 type. says will have decreased battery performance if not reprogramed I have not reprogramed however when key is turned on with new battery module withour starting the engine I have the same code instantly occur. (there is a difference in behavior though.
JA: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Originally the IMA still functioned just had the code, now the IMA does not function at all, does not charge the 12 v battery now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I have it infront of me now.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you installed a new battery then you need to reprogram the computer. It will still see the new battery as the old battery and not function correctly.