Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

98 civic dx overheated. Replaced head gasket, exhaust

Customer Question

98 civic dx overheated. Replaced head gasket, exhaust manifold, radiator, thermostat, fan motor, and sensor switch. Everything functioning, but fan is not kicking on as temp rises? What could possibly be wrong???
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Are you looking for possible causes?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok please help I'm out of ideas
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

I will be happy to help.

One minute while I gather some info..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No codes... Yes possible causes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have changed out everything and cannot figure out why the fan is not turning on
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

I suspect either the new fan switch is at fault or there is a wiring issue going on preventing the cooling fan from coming on.

At the tempature switch, unplug the connector and jump the Green wire to the Black ground wire and verify the cooling fan runs. If the fan does not operate, check the relay, fuses and wire harness. If the cooling fan operates, verify the thermostat opens correctly and the radiator is not restricted. The temperature sensor needs to heat up to 194 degrees, then it should ground the GRN wire. If it does not, then the fan sensor is faulty.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

It is possible that the relays are not getting power or maybe the switch is not getting a ground on the black wire. Just some things to check..