Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 1999 honda accord lx 4 cylinder that wont engage

Customer Question

hi i have a 1999 honda accord lx 4 cylinder that wont engage into gear in drive 4 but will engage in drive 2. what can be the problem and how can i go about fixing it?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

First gear is gone, by putting it in 2 you are forcing it to go into 2nd gear. This is a common problem with Honda transmissions. You are looking at replacing the transmission to correct this problem. You could look for a used transmission as well. The best would be a new or reman unit with a good warranty since this is a common problem you may find a problem with the used trans as well. Most salvage yards do not cover labor only parts warranties.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks