HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 door LX. I was coming to work

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 door LX. I was coming to work the morning and the D on my das started to blink and the engine light came on.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: The D is blinking constant and the engine light stays on and no blinking.
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I will need to take it to a garage. I hope it is not costly. Im a girl.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last week my dash lights were flicking and also my head lights did the same thing, Then stopped.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  david craig replied 27 days ago.

Hi Im David, please allow me a moment to get that information for you. thank you.

The flashing "D" is alerting you to a problem with the transmission control system.

It could just be a faulty sensor or something more major.We have seen more pressure switches go bad on the civics than actual transmission failures.

A pressure switch is an on/off type switch mounted on the transmission that is supposed to send a signal to the vehicles computer to let it know what gear the transmission has shifted into. If the switch goes bad the computer does not know what gear the transmission is in and causes the light to flash.A transmission sensor signals the engine computer the actual speed certain parts of the transmission are spinning at. If the sensor fails, the same thing can happen. The computer does not know what the transmission is doing and will cause the light to flash.

the best thing for you to do is take it to a shop, have the shop scan the transmission control module for faults and see waht faults are showing to determine what needs to be done.