HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Is there anyone out there that knows how to fix driver's

Customer Question

Is there anyone out there that knows how to fix driver's side door lock on a 2000 honda CRV?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it have power door locks?

explain to me what is going on

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The keyfob stopped working years ago - so I just used the key. Then a few months ago, the key would not lock it. So I just opened the back door and pushed the button down. However, now the key often will not UNlock the door (so I have to walk over to the passenger's side and unlock it). So this latest scenario is somewhat of a pain.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
BTW - yes, it has power locks (at least it's supposed to :-))....but it doesn't work.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

Does the key turn in the drivers door lock at all? When you operate the power lock button inside the car do any of the locks work?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really weird. I came out to my car to confirm how it was working. I opened the car door and was going to manually lock ( by pushing down on it with my hand) it but it wouldn't let me push the button down.
So with the door closed, I opened the back door and pushed the button down. Then using the key I tried to unlock it. Initially it didn't want to do much but I gave it more force and it finally did unlock ( using the key). This is new because it hadn't been allowing that.
So then I tried locking it back ( and unlocking) with the key. It's not very smooth but did allow me to do it ( again it had stopped allowing me to do that).
Then I sat in the car and tried to use the power lock button. It does operate the drivers door ( but none of the other doors) and I confirmed that the "lock " for all other doors was not activated.
When I use the power lock button I hear a brief spin sound of some type of mechanism inside the door.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

Sounds like you may have a bad door latch and actuator in the drivers door. If the drivers door lock does not work the others will not work either. the spin sound may be the stripped gears in the actuator.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In your opinion, How tough/expensive would this be to fix?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

That would depend on your level of experience. If you replace the lock cylinder you will have a different key to unlock that door with unless you have the dealer or locksmith re key it. Removing the door latch could be tricky, if you are not careful you can break the outer door handle.