Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

03 accord drives fine for a little bit, and then the

Customer Question

03 accord drives fine for a little bit, and then the transmission slips often to the point where the car doesnt switch gears and comes to a full hault while the engine revs
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: I have and it is kind of dirty should that be the first thing I should look at throughly? cause i took it to the mechanic who pretty much said.. fluid is leaking internally $2800.. (better you tradeit in)
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 03 honda accord v6 automatic 2dr(exL)
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far, just taken in to that one shop for an opinion nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really just want to know what is going on and how we can solve it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

If it's slipping that bad and the fluid is burnt-dirty the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Sorry But I agree with the other mechanic. I have seen plenty of bad Honda transmissions to know when to not waste money with fluid changes or flushes. In my opinion it's time to fix it or get a new car. $2800 is a fair price and pretty typical.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to credit me.
Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Cliff
So I have an 03 V6 accord coupe automatic trans.. with 114K miles
which as been sleeping recently after being driven for about 15-20 mins (car warming up). Slips to the point where my engine revs as i try to accelarate, but the car does not accelerate.. Have gotten 1 opinion so far, and the guy said "seems like an internal leak which will cost about 2800, you should much rather trade it in", but I am not convinced
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Seems my reply was just seconds before yours. Once it slips that bad it needs torn down to rebuild. It's for sure a internal problem. Replacing solenoids or sensors won't help now. The clutches(friction discs) are shot. The material from them circulates and plugs up things internally.

Thanks again and sorry.

Honda-Man