Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

Anyone around to entertain my question?

Customer Question

Anyone around to entertain my question?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great!

Hey man how are you

I m around what is the question ?

year ,make & model of the vehicle ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

01 honda crv ex correct or mitsubshi car ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a 2001 Honda CRV with approximately 133,000 miles. It makes a screeching sound when making right and left turns when the wheels are fully locked (fully turned to right or left). The sound seems to be low in tone (ie, not high-pitched) and is continual until you begin to come out of the turn.If the vehicle is running and in "park", there is no sound. I have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel at around 40 - 50mph.There have been no significant repairs lately.New tires were purchased at 100,845 miles and are fine. New brakes installed at 119,000 miles.
Had power steering fluid flushed today (11/3/16 - 132,400mi)
This noise been occurring for a while (maybe 2-3 years). I have asked quite a few mechanics about the problem, but no one has been able to resolve the issue.

hey how are you

1- would you describe it as also a rapid clicking noise at extreme right and left,like if you did a circle starting from a stand still and turn to right or left and take off

will hear it loud

if that is the case that is the CV AXLES making that noise ,I would raise it and make sure no grease coming out of them and sometimes grease want be coming out but it will be bad internally

I sent you picture of cv axles and locations of them

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not a clicking noise; continual noise
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still with me?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello?

if continuous noise ,you need to check wheel bearings

you can raise on lift and see if there play in the wheel hub bearings,common issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
raise on lift and see if there play in the wheel hub bearings?
can you decipher this? I don't speak bearings. sorry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh... raise on lift ... as in auto shop when oil is chng'd
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I see the other expert left you, maybe I can be of some help. If this is an all wheel drive CR-V has the rear differential fluid been changed recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not AWD
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not sure about rear differential fluid; i can chk my records quickly
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

Please do that for me and if you have the VIN can you post that also for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
VIN# *****
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that. You do have an AWD CR-V and from the description you have given it does sound like the rear differential fluid has not been changed in quite some time.

When the fluid first starts to brake down the differential causes a vibration on tight turns that may even feel like it is coming from the front. As the fluid further brakes down and degrades the differential will actually make a screeching sound that sounds like a dry wheel bearing.

If you get the fluid changed you may have to change it 3 or 4 times with a test drive in between or by running on a lift. There is a special fluid required for the differential which will have to come from Honda.

Your vibration may be a tire issue that you can confirm by having the tires rotated. If the vibration improves or goes away you will then know it is the tires for sure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
best i can tell, the rear diff fluid was replaced in 7/2006
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
at 60835 miles
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

That is a lot of miles between changes. Honda does recommend at least every 30,000 miles depending on driving conditions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you happen to have an approx cost to have the diff fluid replaced?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I am getting ready to leave work right now but will see if you still need help once I get home

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should this be done only by honda folks?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sounds good
Expert:  Steve replied 30 days ago.

Sorry I got busy and forgot to check on you.

You do not have to see a Honda dealer if you can find someone that will use the correct Honda fluid.

There are a couple of service bulletins Honda has on this subject. the one applying to your CR-V calls for replacing parts but I would try the fluid changes first especially since it is cheaper and should work out for you.