Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Getting water leakage under passenger seat, and can't figure

Customer Question

getting water leakage under passenger seat, and can't figure out exactly where it's coming from. took passenger seat out and pulled up carpet, thought originally maybe it was coming from seams in floorboards, or coming up through faulty plugs, but doesn't seem to be originating there. Also noticed water under parts of rear heater/ a/c unit. Keeps happening, very frustrating. Not coming in from front of car that I can tell (i.e.- water running off cowl, down through seams/faulty plugs, etc).
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: leaking in car isn't coolant. it's water. got so bad last time that had to take out front and back seats to completely dry out car. coolant level seems to be ok, maybe a little low.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 honda pilot
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried fixing anything really, yet. took it to shop this last spring to try and find water leak. after 2 days of drying it out, hosing it down again from outside to try and find leak, no luck at all. couldn't replicate. would've cost 1300, except they were nice enough to cut bill in half since they couldn't find problem. still, not looking to take it in again if I can help it. pulled front seat out myself this time to try and pinpoint leak. have kept seat out of car and carpet pulled back for last couple days to help see better exactly where water is coming in or starting to pool. been raining here in washington last couple days. seems to only happen when i'm driving. when car is parked, even in heavy rain, don't seem to get any water in car, or at least not much at all.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: last time, water was also below carpet on drivers compartment, so not sure if water is finding it's way across to that side when there's too much of it, or if i'm getting water on both side of front of car. rear a/c unit in the console currently not working either, but it's been that way for a while. thx
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input so I may help you better. There are a few places this can be coming from so I need to ask a few questions to start the process of elimination Does this have a sunroof? have you been using the air conditioner ?.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no sunroof. been using a/c a little. seems to leak even when not in use, or at least not in heavy use. amount of water i'm finding seems disproportionate to how much i use a/c (clear windows with defrost for 2-3 minutes in morning). and right now, every time i drive there's water on the floor boards.

Ok thanx for your input.It seems that your model has some issues with water leaks on the passenger side and surprised that the shop did not notice this.Was it a dealer that tested it? I'll give you a link to a product to use to try and find it's source and a video on a possible spot and repair.I'll offer you a premium service so I can walk you through checking it yourself if you like. Hope this helps you so far to find your problem http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefront/Chemical-Product/Leak-Detection/LEAK-TRACING-POWDER-12-fl-oz-aerosol-spray-can-net-content-7-5-oz-(213g)-/p/886102712

Just checkingto see if you require further help? If not could you please rate my help ,thank you.

have you had time to check my answer out yet so you can rate it ?