Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2014 Honda Accord 41,000 miles. A year ago, problems

Customer Question

2014 Honda Accord 41,000 miles. A year ago, problems starting, sometimes it would start, other times it took 5 or 6 tries. Got stranded 3 times. now, the car is kaputt, sitting in the driveway. Bought the car out of state, but kept up with the maintenance sched. Had new heavy duty battery installed, this helped but it is getting progressively worse. Battery and alternator checked out good. Seems to be many many issues on hondas through the years with faulty starter, ignition switch. This is my first honda, i was sold on reliability ... but now ... ughhhh
JA: Has the battery been changed?
Customer: yes, a month ago
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, no idea what to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.... thank you
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Update, placed trickle charger on battery - within 10 mins charger signaled 'charging' then to 'storage' tried 6 or 7 times to start the car, then it started
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
must have tried over 100 times over the past day - now it starts. so many issues about hondas and starting issues, really cannot drive the car and shut the engine off, do not want to get stranded again
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You really need a scan tool that can check for codes in the immobilizer circuit and all other modules in the car. You may have a code stored that will help narrow down the problem. You could start by checking all of your battery cables make sure the starter wires are tight and have a good connection. When this happens do all the lights in the car turn on or is everything dead?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Battery and electrical system checked by Batteries plus, got a new heavy duty deep cycle battery - light s are bright, panel lights light up ...
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

A scan for codes would be the next step. You might need the dealer for this. This should be under warranty.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, i l;et the car run for half an hour, it started again 5 times in a row, now it fails to start - tried about a dozen times - nothing. I do not think there is immobilizer - no key on dash when it fails to start
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It has a chip in the key that the system needs to recognize. All vehicles newer than about 2002 have this as a security feature.

The starter solenoid could also be the problem, and the starter would need to be replaced to correct. There are some test for voltage that need to be done to verify this.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks