Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Man only please. Now I have the TPMS light on. I don't have

Customer Question

For Honda-Man only please. Now I have the TPMS light on. I don't have a reset button anywhere nor do I see anywhere in the manual how to reset. The tires on the ground are at 34 psi and the spare was at 20. I filled the spare up to its prescribed 60 psi. Light remains on. I filled up the tire nowhere near another TPMS sensor system in any of my other cars. How do I reset? Is there a manual method?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Low tire light on too? I'm sure you would have said but I need to be sure. The compact spare should not have a sensor. You can tell by the stem. Metal valve stem is TPMS rubber is non-TPMS.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No low tire light on at the moment. Good point about the metal stem. I didn't think about that. Let me go make sure the tires on the ground all have metal stems. Be right back.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Chances are the batteries in one or more of the tire pressure sensors are either low or dead. Normal sensor battery life varies, depending on the sensor maker and customer usage. Average sensor battery life can range from 7 to 10 years. A TPMS tool can check the batteries and condition of the sensors. There is not any owner reset or do it yourself repairs. The system needs to be initialized and checked with a handheld scan tool. Most tire dealers should have one since most all cars nowadays have TPMS.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Bulletin about bad TPMS sensors.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was thinking battery myself. I've seen the display at my local Discount Tire and it has the various sensors. I remember the battery life being what you said. You replace the entire assembly since the battery is built into it. I just need to find out the price. My scanner doesn't do TPMS. I can't say I've seen a loaner for that.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

The TPMS tool is a handheld radio transceiver unit. Too bad the tires need to be removed, be a good time for new tires if needed.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Looks like Amazon sells some. Still why buy one when the tire store will need to do the work anyway.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

42753-SWA-316 sensor P/N About $100 for all 4 from Honda.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I'll have my daughter go by Discount Tire on Wednesday. They will probably check it for free since I've bought many tires from them.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again,

~Cliff

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got everything fixed Saturday. The driver rear battery was kaput. Lasted 7 years which is pretty good. Discount tire charges $64.50 for everything. I believe they used VDO. I also bought my insurance policy for all four tires like I always do because at some time or another something will go flat. This covers replacement, rotation, and balance. Got it all for $129.00 (no extra for the TPMS). Pretty good deal.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

That does sound pretty good. Makes the unexpected much less painful.