Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My friend has a d16a1 ZC Engine. Top. It has a very bad

Customer Question

My friend has a d16a1 ZC Engine. Brown Top. It has a very bad surging/erratic idle. Idle once the car starts is stable at 1100rpm while in neutral but after the car gets warm and up to normal operating temps. The idle starts to go up to 1500 and goes up and down to 2000rpm and above. Once it stops, it becomes stable again but after about a minute it starts to act up again. We are constantly burping the coolant system and there always seems to be air no matter how long we burp it. The car never came with a thermostat but we did replace it but the problem persisted.
JA: Have you checked the owner's manual?
Customer: Yeah
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: well its not exactly a "honda" but its an acura integra 1987
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing it ourself. Cleaned the IACV. FITV and Throttle Body. Checked Vacuum lines and replaced coolant after flushing it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car when we bought it was running on water for the coolant system. It was all brown and a little sludged until we flushed it and replaced it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with a cylinder head gasket leak.This will cause coolant loss as well as the brown sludge issue and can cause idle issues as well.If you have not had this checked/tested for a head gasket issue this needs done.If this is or was done already and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete