Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Same thing as the thread I'm in after 2-3 hours the ac stops

Customer Question

same thing as the thread I'm in after 2-3 hours the ac stops blowing air
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: the ac is working but the air just stops getting blown out then i turn off for 1 hour and it works again just fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2006 4 door lx
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, having tried anything, just talked to a couple people 1 says it could be the ac clutch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: another says maybe blower motor no that's it thanks!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Hello, so does the air flow stop like the fan was shut off or does it just quit cooling like the A/C was shut off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the air almost completely stops flowing and it gets a little warmer. The sound of the AC remains unchanged. it is still on but the air just stops. I turn it off for 30 min-1 hr and it comes back like normal
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

OK so it's a air flow problem then. If the fan slows down it's most likely a fan motor problem. What model is your Honda? Accord, Civic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2006 civic. yeah the sound doesn't change, I still hear the ac like it's on, but the air almost completely stops coming out and what little air does come out is warmer. then i turn off the car for 30 min-1hr and it works again
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this only happens after 2 hours of driving
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
very similar to this guy's problem http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/9889bef3200f422db345af67ded9dddb
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** that problem ended up being an A/C performance issue not a fan problem. Let me have a look at my Honda tech site for related info.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sounds good, will stand by
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Another question, the fan sounds like it's working normally but the air flow is greatly reduced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fan/motor sounds exactly the same as when the ac is on and it is working fine - just after a couple of hours the air stops blowing out - sounds like it is working but little to no air coming out
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Now I know what is wrong. The compressor is not cycling on and off like it should. The fans will be but the compressor is stuck on. This causes the A/C evaporator to freeze up. Moisture in the air usually sticks to the evaporator and drains out the drain tube on the ground. If the compressor stays on the moisture freezes on the evaporator restricting air flow. After sitting it thaws out and works again.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

There are 2 things that will cause this. The compressor relay or the inside thermostat. Most of the time it's the compressor relay probably 90% of the time. It can also cause the battery to drain if it sticks on after the engine is shut off like overnight or after a few days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! - what do I do to fix it?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

The relay is a dealer part and should be under $20. I have included the relay location in the under-hood fuse box. It just pulls out and the new one plugs right in.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

There are 3 possible relay's depending on where your Civic was made. Canada, US, or Japan. The dealer will need your VIN to look up the correct relay.

Thank you, ***** ***** have any other questions feel free to ask. Please rate or accept my answer so the site will credit me.

~Cliff