Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

The starter will not roll. No check engine light. I have

Customer Question

The starter will not roll. No check engine light. I have power to sensors on engine. I can put power to starter solenoid and start engine but no instrument cluster power. have checked main relay. Good. Have checked grounds. Good. Nothing is noticeable inside ECU.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Doesn't even come on. Drove it Wednesday and the light stayed on. didn't get to scan. Just suddenly, no light and no start.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 1997 Accord.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It belongs to a customer. I have checked main relay, grounds, and power to ECU. If I jump starter under hood, engine will crank and run. no power to cluster/guages.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. that's about all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1HGCD5602VA203299
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

Is this auto or manual trans?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already have 5 dollars and then 35 dollars charged to my account and no answer yet. It is an automatic.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Sir. I am just trying to help. I need all of the correct information in order to provide you with an accurate answer. One minute while I get you information on your vehicle..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

OK, I suspect the no "instrument cluster power" and the no crank condition are related. Provided you have checked all fuses and they are good, we will need to get in there and do some testing. It is super easy and I can walk you through it. I can also provide you with a wiring diagram of the starting circuit. At the starter cut relay, there are 4 male pins and 4 female pins you will see when you remove it from its place. With an assistant turning the key to the CRANK position, two female pins should have battery voltage and one should have a solid ground. When this happens, it will activate the relay (the contacts inside will close) and send power out the fourth wire down to the starter motor. Lets check the relay inputs and go from there. Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not know where the starter relay is located.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Here is a pic

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have power from switch and green and black wire. start wire shows a ground. no common ground showing.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. So your saying that you have two powers going into the starter cut relay but no ground?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I supplied ground to relay and engine will start and run. No instrument cluster, though. Thanks for the input.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Excellent! So we are making progress and heading in the right direction. This is good. So nothing comes on or illuminates on the cluster with the key in the RUN position? No anti theft or security lights on or flashing? Do the gauges work at all with the key on?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I bet your security control unit is not grounding the starter relay. I bet the security control unit is not powered up.. and I have a feeling it is on the same circuit as instrument cluster..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

It looks like both the cluster (gauge assembly) and security control unit get powered up from fuse 1 in the underdash fuse box

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Here is a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

If that fuse is good, lets check for power on that fuse with the key on. If there is FULL battery voltage on that fuse, lets check the power supplies to the back of the cluster and security control unit on that circuit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds about right. the battery light comes on and goes off when engine runs. Fuse 1 has full battery voltage. 12.3 volts. Where is security module so I can check voltage there?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

The security control unit is located under the driver's seat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I'll check there.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I just found a picture that shows it under the passenger side seat.. so I am getting conflicting info... just be sure to check both places..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found it under pass. Will check power to it and get back to you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have power to a white wire. none to the yellow which the diagram shows as source.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can supply 12 volts to yellow wire and cluster and clock power up. still no starter without grounding starter relay.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found a way around it. thank you for your support.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

If the yellow wire does not have power on the security control module and instrument cluster but the fuse is good and has battery voltage on it, then the problem is on the yellow wire between the fuse and components. You could trace the problem down and fix the break or open in the wire or simply just run a new wire and you will be good to go!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.