sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

9 fuse, backup/acc don't know the components besides audio,

Customer Question

9 fuse, backup/acc don't know the components besides audio, immobilizer
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: Owner's manual? That's how I know fuse #9 under hood passenger side is back/acc
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 acura tls
JA: Are you fixing your TLX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just located the drain. 700 mA
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Fuse 9 is a constant power feed to the radio, amplifier, and the accessory power delay relay (which powers the lighter/power outlet sockets). You can try removing the relay and if the draw is still present then the issue is either in the radio or amp. Either are about as likely as the other. What you would need to do is unplug each of them one at a time to see when the draw goes away.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks. It says backup/acc. So I went to accessories on the inside passenger side and started removing fuses 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. 11 reduced the drain and 13 eliminated it. 11 is interior/courtesy lights. I had the interior light switched off. 13 is backup/clock. The only things that don't work are the power door locks and interior/courtesy lights. I can do without power door locks but don't know why they were lost on fuse 13. I didn't check the radio. We don't use it.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. 19UUA56803A016630 I responded to the airbag recall not long ago, perhaps a year. The car goes to the grocery store and back mainly. A mile or so.

It looks like it's actually fuse 54?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have only the owner's manual. Fuses are numbered according to which of three fuseboxes they're in. Maximum fuse # 24 in the underhood box, passenger side. I can't identify with 54.

Fuses under the hood are 41-59. Can you upload a picture showing the exact fuse you're concerned with?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Working on it. The one labeled Back Up, ACC. 2003 Acura TL I'm going to the manual online for the picture, if you could access that, pg 310, it would save me some reproducing time.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
output.pdf below

The designations there don't match the service information but that's fuse 54.

What is the actual draw with fuse 11 out and 13 in place?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Raining out can't verify. I think with both of them it jumped around 600 mA up to over 1000, with 11 out it was down to 90 and I decided that was too high and continued looking and 13 out took it down to nothing, 1 or 2.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
11 and 13 are the right hand column in the passenger side dash box, 9-16. I suppose technical manual would show what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Inside passenger side.

You originally said that it was 700 mA total?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
695, in the hundreds.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It occurs to me now that I had the door open while checking the fuses in the inside, naturally, but the overhead light was turned off.

Fuse 11 only powers interior lights and the trunk light. If there is a draw on that circuit then there is a light on somewhere. If you don't think a light is on inside then try taking the trunk bulb out and see if the draw goes away.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Checked the trunk light through the back seat access hole. I don't know if there are courtesy lights in the car doors that do not go off when the dome light is turned off. I can't see any lights on. I should re-try with the door closed.

That fuse powers only lights so if there is a draw on that circuit then there is a light on unless someone has wired something aftermarket into the circuit.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
More concerned with 15 and its presumed effect on power locks. I can do without a clock, and power locks for that matter, but I don't know what else I might be missing. It looks good to go now. Need spouse to trust my analysis of likelihood of it failing to start at the grocery store and essential functions for operating.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Further testing waits for dry weather, Tuesday, it looks like.
Not a problem.