Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2013 Honda pilot alarm is going off randomly. the keys

Customer Question

my 2013 Honda pilot alarm is going off randomly. the keys are not in my pocket, nothing is touching the remote buttons and it goes off when the car is both locked and unlocked. I can immediately disable it with the remote but it has now happened 5 times in the last 30 minutes. It happened several times 3 weeks ago at my sons school and I had the batteries changed in both remotes thinking that was the problem. Clearly, it is not.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: the car battery? no. it has just over 70,000 miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, I am not fixing it myself, all I have done it change the batteries in the remote/keys
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, the protection inside the drivers side wheel well came off the car about 6 weeks ago. I was driving on an dark and unfamiliar road and overshot a driveway, the drivers side dipped down into a shallow ditch but something caught that plastic protector and it tore away from the car in one piece. we have already ordered the replacement part hoping to find someone to install it as the dealership will charge a lot.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am still needing help. no one has answered my question yet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, I am about to leave for work so I can't take a call to try and fix my car right now. It's also dark outside and I don't have a garage to put my car in to be able to see under the hood. Is there any possibility you can email me instructions and/or call me this evening before sunset?

Does your vehicle have an added on immobilizer, remote start, or alarm that is an addition to the alarm which came standard on the vehicle from the factory?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, it has no after market systems. Everything is original factory install.

More than likely you have a door ajar sensor not making good contact and closing fully. Anytime the alarm goes off while parked that means the system has detected a sudden power drop like someone braking the window reaching in and unlocking and opening the door which results in the lights coming on which is the power drop. You can use a scan tool to see which ajar sensor is acting up or you can try spray lubing them all to see if that will help.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you tell me what the door ajar sensor looks like? I wouldn't know where to begin to look or what to look for.